Logo dolnyzemplin.sk

Jewish synagogue

Michalovce belonged to centres of orthodox Jewishness in the past. In 1865, there was held well-known Michalovce Synod (conference of rabbis), which caused that town Michalovce significantly enrolled into history of Jewry in Kingdom of Hungary. 

Jewish community in Michalovce belonged to the richest communities within Zemplín County. Many merchants, doctors, barristers and other people from higher society were members of the community. Regarding to above mentioned facts and growing number of believers, the community left old synagogue building. New synagogue was built in 1888, according to plans of builder whose name was Jelinek, in moresque style. It was one of the most beautiful buildings in town at that time (this synagogue was demolished in seventies of 20th century). During the same year there was built also small, so-called Klaus Synagogue for Hasidic Jews at Silk Street (nowadays it is Street of Ľudovít Štúr). 

Fotoalbum k článku

Súvisiace články

Будівля банку
Bank building
Bank palace
Banková budova
Building of Grosz palace
Chapel of St. Antony of Padua
Golden Bull Building
Mousson's house
Municipal Office
The building of old court
The manor house of Sztaray

Mapa a body záujmu

Videá z regiónu