Golden Bull Building
We found in written documents that in the 30‘s of 19th century in Michalovce existed a pub called “U Býka“ (“The Bull“) – but it had no relation to its later and more famous namesake.
Gabriel Strömpl, one of the richest residents of Michalovce, had a new multi-storey hotel built in the years 1905 – 1906 at the place of his demolished house. The hotel called “Zlatý býk“ (“Golden Bull“) was from that time the greatest and most representative facili-ty of this kind in the whole town. The Strömpl family owned also several local butcheries and just thanks to this fact the facade the hotel is decorated by a gilded head of a bull.
In the vast premises of this object was situated a pub, café with confectionary, hotel restaurant, great hall for feasts or dance, accommodation part, rental facilities, office, nice terrace, gara¬ges, car repair shop or filling station. In the great hall were held not only various meetings of city representatives and of political parties or societies but also parties and balls.
The building experienced during its existence also a period of an “hour hotel“, there were organized here amateur theatrical performances, the first meetings of communists following the take over of power or trainings of peo¬ple‘s militia members.
The building gained its current appearance in 2001, following the completion of reconstruction works.
Súvisiace článkyБудівля банку
Building of Grosz palace
Chapel of St. Antony of Padua
The building of old court
The manor house of Sztaray